[cvsnt] Re: Feature request/bug related to "run_command()"

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Fri Jan 9 11:23:11 GMT 2004

On Fri, 9 Jan 2004 10:37:05 +0100, Alexander Schremmer
<usenet2003d at alexanderweb.de> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I am annoyed at some behaviour of CVSNT: every invocation of helper
>programs defined in the administrative files like notify force CVSNT to use
>cmd.exe and therefore open a (in most cases) blank console window on Win
>NT. Why does CVSNT need to distinguish between NT and non-NT at this point?

It doesn't on any platform I've used... unless you have your cmd.exe
somehow set to always show a window. (There was a version I think that
did that on some platforms but never pinned it down to a specific
reason).

>IMHO it should be possible to just launch the stored command directly on
>both platforms. If somebody needs some cmd.exe internal commands, he can
>still enhance the command line by "cmd.exe /c " in the administrative

The way it works now is pretty much the best of both worlds.  You need
cmd.exe for non-executable files like batch files and perl files,
commands like 'echo', redirection, lots of stuff like that.