[cvsnt] Re: Concerning the wiki'ized CVSNT Cederqvist...

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Fri Jan 9 15:33:54 GMT 2004

On Fri, 9 Jan 2004 15:18:56 +0000 (UTC), "Oliver Giesen"
<ogware at gmx.net> wrote:

>While I welcome the separation of the monolithic document into separate
>Wiki pages for each chapter, I have some concerns:
>
>- The links are currently plain ugly (probably the result of an
>incomplete conversion script): Instead of the link text itself being
>linked it is prefixed with a text of the form "CvsChapter###" which
>then carries the link. This makes text unreadable and especially the
>navigation headers/footers highly unusable.

There is no easy conversion from the old documentation to Wiki - in
fact the page numbers come directly from the old documentation which
was split in that way.

The source was texi2html which made a complete pigs ear of the
formatting.  There's no such thing as a texinfo->wiki script and I
still don't know enough about how texinfo works to start writing one
(too late now, anyway).

>I currently feel I do not know enough about Wiki (yet) to judge what
>alternatives would be sensible or how hard they would be to implement.
>I am hoping that someone (maybe myself) comes up with something quick
>as I'd like to update the currently broken links in the CVSGUI FAQ ASAP
>but I don't want to have to do it all over again next week...

It's a slow job tidying it up.  For an example of a 'tidy' page see
CvsChapter177, CvsChapter10 or CvsIndex...  basically I sort out the
header (copy/paste and change the next/last page numbers), drop the
footer and sort out the links (by putting wiki: in the front of them,
mostly).

The complete mess that is the formatting is just a matter of going
through and sorting it out.  There's no way I can see of doing this
automatically... it's pretty random - a mixture of bugs in the output
of texi2html and the html->wiki script

I don't think the wiki has any kind of 'rename page' (certainly not
any way that'll fixup all the links anyway) so we're probably stuck
with the names.