[cvsnt] disabling Norton Antivirus Realtime protection??

Colin Bendell cbendell at point2.com
Mon Jan 12 15:01:47 GMT 2004

We found a huge performance hit when we did have NAV running.  I would
recommend to your IT dept that they should exclude realtime protection
on the cvs store directories OR that they buy you a four-way Opteron box
with 64Gb of ram running Win2k3 Data Center on a fiber channel SAN
solution. :)

The reason, as I understand it, is due to the large volume of files that
the cvs service requires to read during a cvs update.  For every file
that cvs reads, nav also does a virus scan.  In our case, once we
disabled realtime protection we saw updates take one third the time they
did previously.

Cheers,
/colin