[cvsnt] Mergepoint killer?

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Tue Jan 13 11:42:22 GMT 2004

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 19:59:57 -0700, "Glen Starrett"
<grstarrett at cox.net> wrote:

>I recall you saying something that indicated it was entirely possible to
>clear a mergepoint field if you didn't commit (sometime) after the merge,
>but there wasn't a direct list of things to watch out for.

Mergepoints only work if you do the sequence:

1. Merge (update -j)
2. Modify
3. Commit

If you do anything else like update again then the mergepoint is lost
on the files that are updated as they are no longer the result of the
merge.  Luckily this sequence is the most common when merging trees.

The client matters of course...  mergerpoints have only existed at all
since 1.11.1.3-68 and only stabilised properly at 2.0.0.