[cvsnt] Why is this a conflict?

Jeff Urlwin jurlwin at esoftmatic.com
Tue Jan 13 22:21:35 GMT 2004

> Perhaps the file was not added as a text file but a binary, and the
> merging is not possible/allowed.
>
> And if was added as a text file the conflict should be marked with
> conflict markers:
>
>  >>>>> file something
> one version of
> the
> conflicting rows
> ======
> next version of
> the
> conflicting rows
> <<<<<< file something revision from repository
>
> and then you should be able to see what makes the conflict,
> it should be
> changes on ther same row(s).
>
> Anne Bonham wrote:
>
> > Can anyone point me to more info on what CVS considers a
> conflicting
> > merge?
> >
> > I had developer x add 3 lines to the end of a file
> >
> > Then developer y added 2 different lines to that file
> >
> > CVS considered this to be a conflicting merge. I'm surprised it
> > couldn't auto merge something like this. Why would this be?

Anne,

Were both people adding to the bottom of the file?  I've seen this happen.
We have a tool that automatically appends to an .xml file (Oracle
Jdeveloper) during updates and there are times when that file has issues
because in 99% of the cases, both developers append to the file.  It was
reported here, somewhere along the line, that this was better in newer
versions, but I have not personally tested.  I can see where it's confusing
to the tool, as the line numbers would be the same.  Maybe it should be a
special case when the changes are after the last line number on the previous
rev...???

Regards,

Jeff