[cvsnt] Unicode: UTF-16 without BOM

Olaf Groeger Olaf.Groeger at gmx.de
Wed Jan 14 21:12:07 GMT 2004

Hello, one of my developers showed me a problem with UTF-16 files which
don't have a BOM. If you add them to the repository with option "-ku" and
checkout the file again, the first three bytes of the original file are
lost and replaced by a 2-byte BOM. I know UTF-16 without BOM are unlovely,
but unfortunatly, Textpad has this "feature". I tested version 2.0.11 on
Windows and on Linux. I saw in the history that some Unicode fixes
happened. Maybe this problem is already history ?

yours
Olaf

Way reproduce:
1) Create UTF-16 file without BOM. File looks like:
00 44 00 61 00 73 00 20 ...

2) Add to repository:
cvs add -k uk UTF-16.txt
cvs commit UTF-16.txt

3) move away file from sandbox

4) Update sandbox. the received file looks like:
ff fe 61 00 73 00 20 ...