[cvsnt] Why is this a conflict?

Phil Richards news at derived-software.ltd.uk
Fri Jan 16 10:17:02 GMT 2004

On 2004-01-14, Jeff Urlwin <jurlwin at esoftmatic.com> wrote:
>  Hmmm...I'm sure there are plenty of examples both ways, but: if you are both
>  Appending to a file, wouldn't that be ok to append both?  It seems like that
>  would be a good enhancement for certain types of files (flagged via
>  wrappers?)

Here's an example:
    --- Initial file ---
    The most important people in this company are (in ascending order):
    Fred Smith
    Peter Jones
    Arthur Miggings
    ---

Now, I edit it by appending a bit:
    --- Phil's file ---
    The most important people in this company are (in ascending order):
    Fred Smith
    Peter Jones
    Arthur Miggings
    Phil Richards
    ---

And you edit it at the same time:
    --- Jeff's file ---
    The most important people in this company are (in ascending order):
    Fred Smith
    Peter Jones
    Arthur Miggings
    Jeff Urlwin
    ---

CVS will highlight a merge conflict for one of us:
    --- Merged file ---
    The most important people in this company are (in ascending order):
    Fred Smith
    Peter Jones
    Arthur Miggings
    <<<<<<<
    Jeff Urlwin
    =======
    Phil Richards

    ---

Do you *really* want CVS to automatically resolve that conflict?

phil
--
change name before "@" to "phil" for email