[cvsnt] Why is this a conflict?

Jeff Urlwin jurlwin at esoftmatic.com
Fri Jan 16 19:34:46 GMT 2004

> I think the underpinning theme here is that CVS is not, and
> should not
> be, a substitute for setting up proper project standards and dividing
> the work to avoid conflicts.  IMHO, conflicting when two different
> developers append to the same file is *entirely* the correct
> behavior by
> CVSNT.
>
> Now if I can just get my devs to *resolve* the conflicts before
> committing...  (it was a 1 time thing, but very recent) *sigh*.

I agree, but: it's hard to do in practice when you have IDEs that
automatically append to files and/or manage shared files, such as
struts-config.xml, applicationresources.properties, foo.jpr, etc.

We, fairly often, get conflicts in Jdeveloper's Project files (.jpr) when
two people add a new file to the project enven when they are not sharing the
same code (this can happen with Makefiles, etc).  Unfortunately, Jdeveloper,
itself, doesn't make it easy to edit these (or didn't).  A good text editor
does, though -- so it's workable.  The struts stuff, again, is shared
because of the need.  New struts can break out the config files to allow
separation, so some of the "tools" are getting better at this -- but it's a
pain when it happens.

Jeff