[cvsnt] Re: cvsnt 2.0.19 (and 2.0.22, not 2.0.21), cvs up -C works only for :local:

Glen Starrett grstarrett at cox.net
Mon Jan 26 04:05:39 GMT 2004

Tony Hoyle wrote:

> As I wrote a while back, when I first started using cvs, update -C was
> broke and I never used it again until someone complained it broke a
> couple of months ago.

I use it through TortoiseCVS once in awhile.  I never had trouble with
it (but Tortoise isn't on that recent of a version cvsnt either).  It's
possible that you never heard anything on it because always worked.

> The code is quite tricky as it needs to handle case sensitivity
> changes.  eg. if there are two files Fred and FRED, then whatever one
> you check out should be the one that is updated, and the other one
> should just generate a warning.  'Update -S' essentially reverses this
> logic so you get the other file - once a case is selected it should be
> preserved, even across an update -C (which is one good reason not to
> go around deleting files).  The old Unix code would simply alternate
> randomly between files, which wasn't particularly useful.  As it is it
> seems to work well enough, but could really do with server-side
> support, which may be added at some point.

Nasty, case sensitive problems on a non-sensitive platform.  Personally
I expect trouble if I mess with case sensitivity, so I try to aviod
those problems.  Doesn't help here, I know.  I'm sure you'll figure it out.

Regards,