[cvsnt] Re: Log exit code > 0 even on success?

Oliver Giesen ogware at gmx.net
Tue Jan 27 16:01:06 GMT 2004

Wolfram Kuss wrote:

> I just upgraded the server (see other thread). The problem is
> unchanged. Actually, in two tries (one with the macro in TCL and one
> with the one in CVS), I once got the flooding in orange

For the record: AFAICT (I'm not really that fluent in TCL) the TCL
macro does not check the exit code at all. I therefore guess that the
observed behaviour is caused by a bug in the WinCvs TCL API. The orange
font is used by WinCvs for internal error messages and stuff returned
by CVS via STDERR (thus my assumption that the log was returned there).

> and once the
>
> ----- snip -----
> Downloading the log...
> None
> Done.
> ----- snip -----

This couldn't be the output from the macro that came with WinCvs
1.3.14. That one would only output the final "Done" if the exit code
was 0 and in that case the ChangeLog would correctly be created. Looks
like you ran the macro from WinCvs 1.3.13 . I almost rewrote the macro
from scratch in the meantime (even though I don't think this will make
a difference for this particular problem). Could you please try again
with that newer version?

Anyway, assuming the above was generated by the 1.3.13 macro, this
output means that CVS exited with Exit Code 1 and returned nothing
(represented by Python as "None") via STDERR. Just probably the log was
returned nevertheless via STDOUT. Can't tell from here. As the server
is now up-to-date, I'm still clueless as to what might be causing this.
I had a look at Wolfram's raw Log output and wasn't able to find
anything suspicious...

Any ideas from someone with insight and knowledge of the relevant
CVS(NT) code? Tony?

Cheers,

--
Oliver