[cvsnt] Committing unmodified file after merge

Phil Richards news at derived-software.ltd.uk
Thu Jan 29 10:37:34 GMT 2004

On 2004-01-29, Harrison, Andrew <andy.harrison at anite.com> wrote:
[description of fly-out development with merges from main-to-branch
before final branch-to-main delivery]
>  The problem is that there is no difference between revision 1.4 and 1.5. CVS
>  correctly detects this on a normal modify-commit, but not on a merge-commit.
>  The -f (force commit) flag is not being used. Is there any way to stop these
>  redundant revisions other than committing each file by hand?

The simple answer is: no.

I seem to remember Tony has applied my patch for this to the "development"
(2.1.x) series, but not the "release" (2.0.x) series.

(This is primarily because it might break things - it has been tested
somewhat, but there are lots of cases for what can be done with files
that haven't been tested.)

phil
--
change name before "@" to "phil" for email