[cvsnt] Re: SSPI Authentication failure after password expiry

Glen Starrett grstarrett at cox.net
Thu Jul 1 00:58:07 BST 2004

matthew b wrote:
> Hi. We use CVSNT and TortoiseCVS quite successfully. Occasionally we
> start seeing the following strange error running any CVS command, either
> from Tortoise or the command line:
>
> unrecognized auth response from cvsserver: cvs [server aborted]:
> Authentication failed
>
> This appears suddenly on an otherwise working configuration. What is
> strange is that the same user can use an identical configuration on any
> other machine, or any other user can use that sandbox on the problematic
> machine. So this only happens for a particular user on a particular
> machine. Of course, it's the user's dev machine.
>
> So far we've found two workarounds: 1. Switch to pserver instead of
> sspi. 2. rebuild the entire client machine.
>
> This just happend today, and it may have brought up an underlying
> symptom: the user's password expired. The password has since been
> updated, and the client rebooted, but the problem persists.
>
> Any suggestions on solving or debugging this issue?

Maybe you could try doing a CVS logout from within the sandbox.  Logout
isn't required, since login is implicit wiht SSPI, so this is a total
guess.  It sounds like a bug that needs to get added to bugzilla.

Can you repeat it by trying purposefully expiring someone's account?

If logout doesn't do anything, try removing the entry in
HKCU\Software\CVS\cvspass for that particular root (logout should remove
that, but since that's not a normal use case it might not work).

--
Glen Starrett