[cvsnt] Re: authorization failed... rejected access...

Glen Starrett grstarrett at cox.net
Mon Jul 12 09:47:47 BST 2004

Ann Lynnworth wrote:
> Context:
>
> New installation
> server: Windows NT 4 with latest Microsoft updates installed
> files put on NTFS, on a local drive
> Latest stable release of CVSNT
>
> set up admin, config, passwd, readers, writers files
> set up windows user accounts
> was able to import a module using cvs.exe commandline on the server
>
> Problem: cannot get pserver access to work.

What is the config for authentication?  What is in the passwd file?
Even pserver users are validated against the domain in the 'default
setting' environment, and I think the passwd file adds to that.  When
using a name in the passwd file, you need to specify an account to use
when impersonation is enabled (that'll be the acct you need to set up
with correct NTFS, but you probably know that already).

> The error message is always the same, when I try cvs login
> "authorization failed: server blah rejected access to /path/path2 for
> user fred
>
> I suspect this is because the impersonation is failing. Why? Because I
> have triple, quadruple checked config, passwd, readers and writers, and
> all the directory permissions, and can find no errors.
>
> Important: the installation setup routine (install shield exe) FAILED on
> this server, repeatedly, always on the final installation screen.  It
> would just hang.  No error message anywhere, not even in EventLog.  I
> had to end-task.

Could be the LSA helper install failing??? I had trouble with my old NT4
prod server failing on the upgrade, but I ended up moving CVSNT to a
newer machine with Win2K (it wasn't an upgrade, and later upgrades went
smooth).

> So I'm sure that my manual installation of all the files has missed some
> key step which enables something, probably the impersonation feature?
>
> Is there any way that someone can diagnose this "authorization failed"
> error?

Run "cvsservice -test" and use "cvs -t -t -t" against it to get debug
info.  Hopefully something will be of use in diagnosis.

--
Glen Starrett