[cvsnt] cvs checkout -d gives error instead of updating

Terence Wilson tez at latte.com
Tue Jul 13 05:06:47 BST 2004

Hello everyone,

This is my first posting to the list. We recently switched from cvs running
on a Mac with OSX to CVNT running on Windows Server 2003, we are using the
latest stable version. We have observed what appears to be a bug: if one
checks out a module using cvs checkout -d the module is correctly checked
out to the specified directory, however, if the same command is run again I
see a raft of "move away [filename]; it is in the way" errors, my
understanding is that cvs should update the directory. Indeed, if one omits
the -d switch everything works as expected. It seems that files checked out
with -d are not subsequently recognized by CVSNT as being from the
repository. I have double-checked this bug by creating a new module and then
checking out using -d, I did this to eliminate the possibility that there
might be a latent problem with files moved from the Mac. I google'd this
issue and found a couple of people with the same problem, but no resolution.
This is a near show-stopper for us because we have hundreds of build scripts
that use cvs checkout -d, it simplifies matters because the same command can
be used for the initial checkout and updates.

Thanks in advance,

Terence Wilson Ph.D.
Senior Systems Architect
Gatan, Inc.