[cvsnt] CVS/CVSNT archive format compatibility ?

Johan Holmberg holmberg at iar.se
Wed Jul 14 11:45:08 BST 2004

I've been running the CVSNT client now for a while against a CVS-pserver
running "plain" CVS.

If I switch to using CVSNT as my server (still on Linux), will I be
able to later switch back (for whatever reason), or is the file format
used by CVSNT so different as to be incompatible with "plain" CVS ?

I have tried to find any info on this on the cvsnt.org site, but failed.
On the /CvsntAdvantages page I noticed the following points:

    - Efficient storage of binary files using binary deltas.

    - Even more efficient storage using compressed deltas (when space
      is more important than performance).

This makes me believe that the formats are indeed incompatible.
Is that really the case ?

Or is there a "mode" where CVSNT uses a format compatible with
"plain" CVS?

I would appreciate very much if someone could give me a pointer to
authoritative info on this archive file format issue.

/Johan Holmberg