[cvsnt] Re: scripts loosing execute permissions

Lehman, Curtis CLehman at carrieraccess.com
Wed Jul 14 18:29:52 BST 2004

"Tony Hoyle" <tmh at nodomain.org> wrote in message
news:bvmfsn$7qk$1 at sisko.local.nodomain.org...
> bbq jo wrote:
> > hello,
> >
> > I managed to set up a Windows 2000 box with cvsnt 2.0.24 and to import
from
> > a Linux box the sources we needed. However, when checking out, script
files
> > were loosing their execute flag. Same thing happens with a simple 'cvs
add'
> > of a script file: command succeeds but I am left with a file having lost
its
> > execute flag.
>
> The old CVS used to store the executable flag on the file itself.  NT
> has no such flag, so it loses all that information - this is
> unfortunately unavoidable.
>
> If you set the flag under Linux and commit a new revision CVSNT stores
> this information in the RCS file so it'll keep it (at least until
> someone commits from an NT machine).

Could some please help clarify the last two paragraphs of this thread. I am
also trying
to commit shell scripts that are executable from a Linux system onto CVSNT.
I tried
changing the permissions on the file to include executable and then
committed the file.
Not only did it not retain the settings on the server, the local copy lost
the setting. Is
this normal? Is there any way around this?

Thanks,
Curt