[cvsnt] "cvs diff -rHEAD" annoyance

Johan Holmberg holmberg at iar.se
Thu Jul 15 11:30:13 BST 2004

Hi !

I think CVSNT behaves strange with respect to files removed from Cvs
when I issue the command:

    $ cvs diff -rHEAD
    cvs server: Diffing .
**  cvs server: foo.txt no longer exists, no comparison available

I wonder why the line marked ** appears?
I'm using CVSNT 2.0.41a on both client and server. The client is on
XP and the server on Linux.

If I replace the CVSNT server with a "plain" CVS server, I don't get
that extra line marked **.

Below is a detailed log of my commands (I've removed some CVS output
not of interest):

    $ cvs add foo.txt
    $ cvs ci -mxxx foo.txt           # a first revision
    $
    $ echo 111 >> foo.txt
    $ cvs ci -mxxx foo.txt           # a second revision
    $
    $ rm foo.txt
    $ cvs remove foo.txt
    $ cvs ci -mxxx foo.txt
    Removing foo.txt;
    /cvs/cvs-test-toy/demo1/foo.txt,v  <--  foo.txt
    new revision: delete; previous revision: 1.2
    done
    $
    $ cvs diff -rHEAD
    cvs server: Diffing .
    cvs server: foo.txt no longer exists, no comparison available

It seems to me, like the CVSNT server can't make up its mind whether
the file should be considered to exist or not.

/Johan Holmberg