[cvsnt] Re: cvs release bug!?

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Fri Jul 16 12:58:11 BST 2004

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 03:20:17 +0200, "Michael Jensen"
<michael.jensen at dnp-services.com> wrote:

>First thing, CVSNT complains that (all) files have changed (they haven't):
>
>You have [684] altered files in this repository.
>Are you sure you want to release (and delete) directory
>`thisVendor/thatProduct':

This isn't a samba drive is it???  They exhibit this feature, but
they're not supported anyway.

You can get something like it on FAT if your timezone settings aren't
correct...  it's best to use NTFS (for lots of reasons, not just
this).

>Second issue, even if I answer yes (i.e. 'y') to this question, knowing I
>didn't drink too much lately, CVSNT does not release either of the two
>highest-level directories (thisVendor and thatProduct, respectively). Both
>also still contain their respective CVS directories. All other files and
>directories (below thatProduct) are gone, though.

It won't release directories above the module.. you've not told it to
do that - you told it to release thisVendor/thatProduct *not*
thisVendor, which is what it did.

If there are any non-cvs files in the directories they will not be
released (neither will the containing directory).  You must use -f to
force deletion of such files/directories.

Release is in fact mostly useless unless you're using edits... its
only action that's different to running 'rmdir /s' is to run unedit on
the tree.