[cvsnt] Re: cvs release bug!?

Michael Jensen michael.jensen at dnp-services.com
Sat Jul 17 10:04:24 BST 2004

Thanks, Tony, releasing thisVendor instead of thisVendor/thatProduct did the
trick ... For the release issue, that is.

I still get the message about all files being changed (but are not), though.
The drive is NTFS. SAMBA not used. This behaviour does not depend on the
module or the special situation where I did no edit at all. The same happens
if I check out CVSROOT, make some changes to a file, say modules or
cvswrappers, commit the changes, and then release:

[cmd?] cvs release -d CVSROOT
You have [15] altered files in this repository.
Are you sure you want to release (and delete) directory `CVSROOT': y

As you can see, all files are reported as altered. Obviously this may pose a
problem or at least create a lot of confusion while using CVSNT (did I do
that commit yesterday night after all or didn't I?).

You mentioned a potential relation to timezones settings, so here is what we
have:
- the local timezone is UTC+2
- files that I check out are created with a timestamp of their last change
according to the timezone
- CVSNT stores the last change in UTC (in the RCS files)

Example: cvswrappers
- last change according to RCS file: 2004.07.16.20.32.45
- timestamp after checkout according to Windows: 16.07.2004 22:32:45

This all seems strictly according to the book to me (and to the commit
command: only really changed files are committed).

Cheers,
Michael

BTW, I know that I do not need to release unedited files, strictly speaking,
but we intend to build a notification and partially automated process scheme
based on who has checked out (committed, released etc.) which modules.