[cvsnt] Re: CVSNT 41a >10 secs delay with Reverse DNS disabled - any ideas

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Tue Jul 20 18:15:05 BST 2004

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 18:04:40 +0100, "Greg Smith" <greg at ced.co.uk>
wrote:

>I would gladly get the Reverse DNS lookup fixed if I knew how. I have spent
>the best part of a day trying to find out how to do this... hence my
>bothering the list.
>So, 2 questions:
>1) Does disabling reverse DNS lookup eliminate a reverse DNS lookup problem?

It stops CVSNT doing reverse DNS to verify clients... it doesn't stop
other parts of the system doing so (eg. kerberos will do this as part
of its handshake).  I'm not aware of any way of completely removing
it.

You'll probably find on the affected machine that switching to pserver
will fix the problem, as all the authentication is then internal to
CVS rather than relying on the system configuration.

>2) If it does, what else could be going wrong?

There can be many things that break on a system... CVSNT just
piggybacks on the existing system so assumes that's working.  If the
clock is wrong on the machine for example active directory
authentication will stop working.  If you have the machine name the
same as another machine it'll behave erratically and may break
completely... about a dozen other things I've come across over the
years.

It may just be a straight hardware problem - have you tried a
different network card/hub?