[cvsnt] cannot open CVS/Entries for reading

Barrett, Michael barrettm at adlnet.org
Wed Jul 21 16:53:18 BST 2004

I am trying to set up an in-house CVS server to use with some of our
programming projects.  I selected CVS for NT (www.cvsnt.org) for the server,
and it is running on a dedicated machine on our network.  We are using
TortoiseCVS to access the repository.  The server is a Windows XP Machine,
and all other machines are running Windows XP or Windows 2000.

Multiple users were able to successfully check out a Test repository and
commit changes and new files to the CVS server.  However, we are running
into problems checking out the real code tree through TortoiseCVS.

We are using the SSPI protocol and using our Windows domain access groups to
get into the CVS tree.  The CVSROOT command is

:sspi:username at server:2401:c:\cvshome

where 2401 is the port cvsnt runs on.

I created a new module using our existing source files, and was able to CVS
Add/Commit all of the files succesfully.  I also checked the cvshome
directory on the server and all files are present.  I have also since been
able to CVS Update changes to the source.  So as you can see, everything
appears to be working correctly.  However, another user who needs access to
the code is having problems checking out this new Module, although they had
been able to check out the Test Module.

He is able to Fetch a Module list, and checkout the Test module, but when he
tries to check out the new module, the following happens:

1. This message shows up in the CVS window, and it only displys this for
about a minute.

C:\Program Files\TortoiseCVS\cvs.exe -q -x checkout -P ModuleName
CVSROOT=:sspi:userName at server:2401:C:\cvshome

2. In the folder where we are trying to checkout the module, the entire
folder structure of the module is created on the local hard drive.  There is
no content or files in any of the created directories.

3. The directory structure on the local hard drive for the new module is
deleted.

4. The following error message appears a few moments later in the CVS
window:

cvs checkout: in directory .:
cvs checkout: cannot open CVS/Entries for reading: No such file or directory

Success, CVS operation completed

End result: no module checked out.  I have no idea what the Entries message
is all about, I have not heard of this in my dealings with CVS.  This is my
first time setting up a CVS server, although I have used TortoiseCVS in the
past.  Can someone help me out so that we can get other people access to
this module?

I am not subscribed to this list, so please include barrettm at adlnet.org in
your reply.

Thank you for your time and help.