[cvsnt] Re: cannot open CVS/Entries for reading

Glen Starrett grstarrett at cox.net
Wed Jul 21 18:49:10 BST 2004

Barrett, Michael wrote:

> I created a new module using our existing source files, and was able to CVS
> Add/Commit all of the files succesfully.  I also checked the cvshome
> directory on the server and all files are present.  I have also since been
> able to CVS Update changes to the source.  So as you can see, everything
> appears to be working correctly.  However, another user who needs access to
> the code is having problems checking out this new Module, although they had
> been able to check out the Test Module.
>
> He is able to Fetch a Module list, and checkout the Test module, but when he
> tries to check out the new module, the following happens:
>
> 1. This message shows up in the CVS window, and it only displys this for
> about a minute.

Does it close itself?  Tell Tortoise to not close the dialog windows in
CVS > Preferences > Main tab > Progress Dialog so you can be certain
you're seeing the entire session.

> C:\Program Files\TortoiseCVS\cvs.exe -q -x checkout -P ModuleName
> CVSROOT=:sspi:userName at server:2401:C:\cvshome

With SSPI, you should leave the username blank unless you need it filled
in.  Let windows work out the authentication (that's what SSPI is for).

FYI, an alternative syntax for the repository name "/C//cvshome" (as
opposed to "C:\cvshome").  Some clients (not Tortoise AFAIK) have
trouble with the other syntax.

> 2. In the folder where we are trying to checkout the module, the entire
> folder structure of the module is created on the local hard drive.  There is
> no content or files in any of the created directories.
>
> 3. The directory structure on the local hard drive for the new module is
> deleted.
>
> 4. The following error message appears a few moments later in the CVS
> window:
>
> cvs checkout: in directory .:
> cvs checkout: cannot open CVS/Entries for reading: No such file or directory
>
> Success, CVS operation completed

Make sure that:

1)  The user has permission to access the files on the server.

2)  The user has full permissions on the destination location on the
local machine.

> End result: no module checked out.  I have no idea what the Entries message
> is all about, I have not heard of this in my dealings with CVS.  This is my
> first time setting up a CVS server, although I have used TortoiseCVS in the
> past.  Can someone help me out so that we can get other people access to
> this module?

Entries is a control file that is kept in each (typically hidden) CVS
directory along with other control files.  Those allow CVS to remember
which files are checked out, where they come from, and what versions you
currently have.

> I am not subscribed to this list, so please include barrettm at adlnet.org in
> your reply.

Erm.... if you want help, you should sign up for the list!  You can
always stop the subscription once you're done.

--
Glen Starrett