[cvsnt] Re: Setting up CVS on an old server, what are the requirements?

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Thu Jul 22 20:20:37 BST 2004

Paul Nusbaum wrote:

> I was just curious how hardware-dependent CVS is?

Mostly it's hard disk dependent - it does a lot of file operations &
you're going to be storing
your file history on there.  The more memory you can
throw at it the better, too (in practice it uses about 12-15MB per
simultaneous client which isn't a lot but can mount up on a large
installation).

> I may be given an old 486 server to work with (the project has a small
> budget ;) as a starting point.
>
> I guess I'd be looking at an older version of Windows in this case, I'm
> assuming NT 4.0, but not too sure if anything newer will work on an older
> machine.

You'd probably be better off putting a small linux distribution on there
rather than something as big as NT.  In the past I have run NT on a 486
but it struggled even with 64MB.. running a server on top I'd suggest
128MB as a minimum.

> In any case - do you know if CVS, with a fairly small team and fairly small
> amount of code, will work well on a 486 ?

I suspect you'll have more problems getting the OS on there than cvs...