[cvsnt] Re: WinCVS or TortoiseCVS?

Gerhard Fiedler lists at connectionbrazil.com
Sat Jul 24 14:40:43 BST 2004

> Terence Wilson:
>> Around here the preference is most definitely TortoiseCVS over WinCVS,
>> several of the programmers in my group used profanity when describing
>> their WinCVS experience, but I'm sure it must have some virtue.
>> Personally speaking I think there's no contest.. TortoiseCVS rocks.

Chuck Kirschman:
> Almost all programmers here prefer the command line interface.
> Non-developers like the gui apps.  Doc likes winCVS, VB people like
> Tortoise.  The people that build the web pages insist on something that
> works from within Visual Studio or they will use SourceSafe, so we
> hooked them up with one of the available plug-ins.

I use all four:

- The command line if I need an option or command that's not supported in
any of the GUIs I use, or if I want to understand something in detail, or
for scripting frequent activities. (Yes, it's rather easy to take the
command line that either WinCvs or TortoiseCvs use for commands you do
regularly, and write a batch file that contains a sequence that you often
use. Also a great help for teams, for example including cvs commands in
build scripts.)

- WinCvs as a frontend that's less automated than TortoiseCvs for some
things that need this. (For example, sometimes cvs gets confused about the
edit status of a file. TortoiseCvs is then often at a loss, as it won't let
you run the "wrong" command. WinCvs will still let you do an unedit on a
file it doesn't think is edited at all -- or vice versa.)

- SCCProxy as an SCC frontend for cvs for one of my editors that happens to
work better with this than with its command line version control interface.

- TortoiseCvs for the daily work. Its added automation features are really
great and remedy some of cvs's annoyances. Like the "add folder contents"
or the cvs edit (it automatically runs an update and an exclusive edit if
you do an edit and it sees that the file is marked binary) or the commit
selection screen that allows you to selectively commit on a whole tree or
the automatic unedit after commit (to get rid of the edited unaltered files
that cvs leaves after committing a directory), to name some of my
favorites.

Gerhard