[cvsnt] unable checkout file by tag

Iakov Glubokiy iglubokiy at infotecs.ru
Mon Jul 26 15:43:27 BST 2004

Hello all,

here I am again with the questions we've got having moved from cvs to
cvsnt.
In the repository we have some "service" files which are used in our
build system. It's turned out that sometimes

cvs co -p -r tag module/proj/file

fails claiming that no such tag exists.

At the same time the following sequence works fine:

cvs co module/proj/file
cd module/proj
cvs up -r tag

Then I wrote simple script which tries to get file by each of existing
tags and it has failed on 48 tags of 81. Again, 'cvs up -r'
was just fine for all the tags. But 'cvs up -r xxx module/proj'
brought something new - checkout command executed extremely slow.
Actually, this script for 81 tags took several hours to complete
(though 'proj' contains only two files by several bytes). Weird that
cvsnt process on the server side this time was actively working with
files in other directories of the repository (not only in current
module, but in the second module of the repository too). And even some
more weird that such a behaviour disappeared by its own. I just
noticed that after script completed, everything became ok - tags were
on their place, and project was no so huge as it pretended.

Other people from our staff already reported (very occasionly)
"slow-to-death checkouts" after moving to cvsnt, hence it doesn't look
like a "moon phase" or something.

Have any ideas where to start from? Which server-side trigger scripts
may (in theory) produce such a behaviour? What additional information
should I supply?

Client: CVSNT 2.0.41a Win32
Server: CVSNT 2.0.41a Linux

--