[cvsnt] Re: Importing File based CVS

Glen Starrett grstarrett at cox.net
Mon Jul 26 19:50:08 BST 2004

Jonathan Chu-Yang wrote:
> We recently installed CVSNT server.  In the past, one of the groups was
> using file based CVS.  All the files have a .v file attached.  What we
> would like to do is import the file based CVS files with the history
> intact into the new CVSNT server.  We tried importing the files through
> WinCVS, but the history doesn't get imported.  Any suggestions or ideas?

The ,v files are called RCS files and are the same files that CVSNT uses
internally.  If you copy your entire set of ,v files to the CVSNT
reporsitory, they you'll get your full revision history.  Copying the
CVSROOT\history file will also get you the old history file entries (if
you use the "cvs history" function, that is where it gets it.)

http://www.cvsnt.org/wiki/MoveFromLinux

Note that using "cvs import" against ,v files will just result in a mess.

Regards,

--
Glen Starrett