[cvsnt] Comments on binary files

John Hall john-news2 at cambridgetechgroup.com
Wed Jul 28 09:58:33 BST 2004

Hi,

Is -k really the best way of handling binary files? Recently, I was working
with a tree in CVS and I wanted to diff it against another tree that was not
in CVS, so I did 'cvs update -ko' to return all the keyword substitutions to
their original strings to make the diff cleaner. What I hadn't anticipated
was that this could corrupt any binary files that were in the tree, since
the -kb would be removed.

The operation I did above may not be something that needs to be done very
often, but it did take a while to work out what had happened and it isn't
that straightforward to recover. It strikes me that either -kb could be made
"extra" sticky or some other way could be implemented to mark a file as
binary. What do you think?

Regards,
John