[cvsnt] Using plink for secure connection from CVSNT to a Linux CVS Repository

Hermanski, John john.hermanski at intel.com
Wed Jun 2 14:46:25 BST 2004

I'm try to use CVSNT, going from a Win 2K system to CVS repository on a Linux box, using ssh via Plink.

TortoiseCVS works fine. WinCVS works fine. If I do a:

	"plink -l jgherman servername.com "cvs --help"

cvs on the remote system lists its options. So, I know my secure connection to the Linux system is OK. Doing a command line cvs checkout using CVSNT only gets me a fairly useless "Unable to open connection". I've set CVS_EXT=plink.exe, so I know its using plink. Plink dir is in my path.  CVSROOT looks OK.

I know both TortoiseCVS and WinCVS use CVSNT behind the scenes - exactly how I'm not sure - maybe using the cvsgui protocol?
BTW - the reason I need to use CVSNT is that I need command line CVS access. I'm trying to set up a CruiseControl automated build system.

Interestingly, TortiseCVS, when you do an operation,  shows you exactly how it invokes cvsnt. You try the same thing from a command line, and it fails with "unable to connect".
Any ideas?

	Thanks,

	John Hermanski

	John Hermanski
        Sr. Technical Marketing Engineer
        Intel Americas, Inc.
	Worldwide Technical Sales and Support - Telecom
	phone: 978-744-9098
	cell:     978-836-8028
	mailto:john.hermanski at intel.com
	http://www.dialogic.com