[cvsnt] Re: how to access over internet

Jens Meyer coderacc at yahoo.de
Mon Jun 7 01:16:46 BST 2004

Hello,

Thx for your answer.

Bo Berglund wrote:
> 1. The CVSNT server machine should run XP-Pro. Does it? XP Home is no
> good...

I'vs only the home version. Nevertheless possible ?

> 2. Configure your Internet firewall to map the port 2401 to the CVSNT
> server IP on your local network.

The server runs on a pc, which is direkt connected to internet.
So i use its ip ?

> 3. On the CVSNT server add an account for your friend.

I am not sure how to do. Like this:
"cvs passwd -a myriend" ?

> 4. On the friend's PC you do the following:
> 5. Open the Windows\system32\drivers\etc\HOSTS file in an editor
> 6. Enter one line with the following data:
> <Internet ip of CVS server firewall>  MyCvsServer
> Note that the IP you have to enter is the address the CVS server
> *firewall* uses to access the Internet, not the IP of the server
> itself. Example:
> 62.73.84.95  MyCvsServer
> (of course you can use another name than MyCvsServer if you like)
> 7. Save the HOSTS file

in place of MyCvsServer it should be my computer name ?

> Note that the trick using the HOSTS file is done to make it possible
> to later change the IP address of the server if his ISP changes it.
> This happens when DSL users have DHCP to give them the IP.

I use dyndns.org to get a pseudo static ip.

 Jens