[cvsnt] Re: is there a problem if I move files from one folder tothe other in the repository

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Wed Jun 9 23:28:01 BST 2004

On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 15:55:23 -0400, "Chuck Kirschman"
<Chuck.Kirschman at bentley.com> wrote:

>I regularly move files to a new name or location, but leave the old
>files in place and then "CVS remove" them into the Attic.  I also strip
>the tags from the new repository file.  If you don't follow this
>procedure, how can you rebuild older versions of the product?  Until
>Tony is done with file renaming that is; hopefully a checkout to a tag
>will get the file in the correct directory then.
>
>chuck
>

>From what I saw in your description all you wanted to do was move a
module "down" one level (into the X folder), but keeping all of the
module structure itself intact.
This is possible using the described *move* method.
Also, if you then check out the X/A module you will get all of the
files and they will have the expected revisions all over including the
old subfolders and stuff. And you can update this module to tags and
branches just fine, even to dates if you like. All of the data needed
for this is stored inside the individual files on the server and will
not be affected by the move at all.
I would never myself for one instance consider doing what you propose
because that results in redundant information in the server. Either I
keep the module where it was originally or I restructure, but not
both.

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)