[cvsnt] Re: bug in cvs(nt)?

Oliver Giesen ogware at gmx.net
Thu Jun 10 21:12:22 BST 2004

>   (Generated after "cvs info" was sent by WinCVS to CVSNT)
>
> "Something bad happened to CVSNT, and it crashed.  Unfortunately
DBGHLP.DLL is missing so we can't
> produce a crash dump."
>
> Typing "cvs info" at the command line for WinCVS produced an identical
result.

> Example:
>
> cvs info
> Available protocols:
<.snip.>

Huh? When you wrote "cvs info at the commandline produced identical result"
I understood this to mean that it also crashed. How come then that you seem
to get correct output now? I feel I misunderstood you at some point... if
there is no crash when invoking cvs info from the commandline then it looks
like this might yet be a WinCvs issue after all...

Could you try to clarify when and where exactly cvs info crashes for you and
when and where it doesn't?
Possible ways to invoke cvs info you could test:

1. by invoking the CVSROOT dialog in WinCvs.
2a. by running "cvs info" inside the console pane of WinCvs
2b. by running "cvs info" from WinCvs' Commandline dialog
3. by running "cvs info" on a command prompt (aka DOS box) outside of WinCvs

I understood that 1. crashes reproducably on your machine. So far I was
under the impression that so did 3. Now that you showed the correct example
output I have the suspicion that you might have tried 2. and that did crash
while 3. didn't... or under what circumstance were you able to get the
correct output?

If only 1. and 2. produce the crash and 3. doesn't then it's bound to be a
WinCvs issue. Only if all three crash is this likely to be a CVSNT issue...

Cheers,

--
Oliver
JID:  ogiesen at jabber.org