[cvsnt] Re: bug in cvs(nt)?

Paul G. pgarceau at comcast.net
Sat Jun 12 05:56:14 BST 2004

On 10 Jun 2004 at 21:32, cvsnt-request at cvsnt.org wrote:

> Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 22:12:22 +0200
> From: "Oliver Giesen" <ogware at gmx.net>
> Subject: [cvsnt] Re: bug in cvs(nt)?
> To: cvsnt at cvsnt.org
>
> >   (Generated after "cvs info" was sent by WinCVS to CVSNT)
> >
> > "Something bad happened to CVSNT, and it crashed.  Unfortunately
> DBGHLP.DLL is missing so we can't
> > produce a crash dump."
> >
> > Typing "cvs info" at the command line for WinCVS produced an identical
> result.
> >
> > Example:
> >
> > cvs info
> > Available protocols:
> <.snip.>
>
> Huh? When you wrote "cvs info at the commandline produced identical
> result" I understood this to mean that it also crashed. How come then that
> you seem to get correct output now? I feel I misunderstood you at some
> point... if there is no crash when invoking cvs info from the commandline
> then it looks like this might yet be a WinCvs issue after all...
>
> Could you try to clarify when and where exactly cvs info crashes for you
> and when and where it doesn't? Possible ways to invoke cvs info you could
> test:
>
> 1. by invoking the CVSROOT dialog in WinCvs.
> 2a. by running "cvs info" inside the console pane of WinCvs
> 2b. by running "cvs info" from WinCvs' Commandline dialog
> 3. by running "cvs info" on a command prompt (aka DOS box) outside of
> WinCvs

	Ok.  Did all of that with one exception:  I hadn't run it from a dos box outside of WinCvs.

> I understood that 1. crashes reproducably on your machine. So far I was
> under the impression that so did 3. Now that you showed the correct
> example output I have the suspicion that you might have tried 2. and that
> did crash while 3. didn't... or under what circumstance were you able to
> get the correct output?
>
> If only 1. and 2. produce the crash and 3. doesn't then it's bound to be a
> WinCvs issue. Only if all three crash is this likely to be a CVSNT
> issue...

	All three crashed.  Same exception I noted previously.

	For those who did not see the specific crash:

	The exception unknown software exception (0xc06d007e) ocurred in the application (cvs.exe) at location
0x77f1d642.

	Hope this helps.

		Paul G.