[cvsnt] Re: When you gotta....

Victor A. Wagner Jr. vawjr at rudbek.com
Sun Jun 13 17:39:29 BST 2004

Thank you for the information, I'll set about fixing things immediately.

Neither the installation nor the control panel ever ask whether the
repository will be used by other systems(computers).  Though it could
easily be inferred from the answers to _some_ of the things selected (like
running the lock server), the environment variable is
CVSROOT=c:/CVSReposotory after the initial installation.

This means that one _must_ change the variable (or always use  -d
:pserver:.......) when using the system locally.
Perhaps this should be spelled out in capital letters in the installation
instructions, or better yet set CVSROOT to something better?

At Sunday 2004-06-13 03:42, you wrote:
>Victor A. Wagner Jr. wrote:
>>I find myself needing to use my system with the repository on it for
>>development.
>>the repository is accessed from the internet concurrently as well.
>>is it ok that my access is direct (c:/CVSReposotory) while the others are
>>coming in via :pserver: like the notebook which travels with me and
>>occasionally is plugged directly into the network here?
>>the locking will all work correctly?
>The only way you can get away with this is to define a global lockserver
>in the CVSROOT/config, which means you're using a server (of sorts)
>anyway.  If you don't do this you'll be using different locking to the
>clients and chaos will ensue.
>
>It's really much better to stick to using the server for all clients.
>
>Tony

Victor A. Wagner Jr.      http://rudbek.com
               "There oughta be a law"