[cvsnt] Re: cvsnt with eclipse

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Tue Jun 15 02:52:14 BST 2004

Preston L. Bannister wrote:

> CVSNT behaves differently than CVS ... though the same as Eclipse!  OK,
> maybe this is a reason to disable compatibility with the original CVS.

That's an old Windows bug.  Windows Explorer has it too.. there's even
an MS knowledgebase article about it, where they claim it's 'by design'
(meaning they couldn't be arsed fixing it).

It's impossible to trust the timestamps on Windows, basically.  CVSNT
(and eclipse it seems) automatically compensate for the bug so that
interoperability with Unix clients doesn't go out of the window when
daylight savings changes.  I expect samba does something similar for the
same reason (not tested it though).

I would be trivial for the original CVS to add the code to fix it, but I
don't think anyone's ever packaged it up as a patch and sent it to them
for consideration.

See http://www.codeproject.com/datetime/dstbugs.asp