[cvsnt] SSPI and "Can't authenticate - perhaps you need to login first?" error.

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Tue Jun 15 17:23:31 BST 2004

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 09:12:30 -0700, "Michael Kennedy [UB]"
<mkennedy at REMOVETHIS.unitedbinary.com> wrote:

>> You can... it's useful for logging in over the internet.
>
>I see. Does it speed up the communication? Since technically it logs in
>every time automatically using the SSPI procedures and all.

The authentication is the same, but if there are no cached credentials
because you're on a different network it allows SSPI to validate you
as a user.

>I should mention also that I have had my password expire on the server and
>you do get a failed SSPI authentication but it's a different message. It's
>something about authentication failed or login failed or something. But not
>this message.

I must admit I've never seen the client fail a login before either.
Normally the server lets you in then returns failure at the last
minute (probably a security measure).

Is there anything interesting in the event log of the server machine
and/or PDC?