[cvsnt] Re: CVSNT server backwards compatable with "normal" cvs (linux) client?

Glen Starrett grstarrett at cox.net
Thu Jun 24 00:25:59 BST 2004

David Summers wrote:
> Hello,
>   We just upgraded our Win2K CVSNT from 2.0.9 to 2.0.41a today and now
> my "normal" linux cvs client cvs-1.11.17-2 on Fedora 2 can't do a
> checkout of the repository.  It does the login correctly and says it
> authenticates using pserver but then when I try to do the checkout or
> update I get:
>
> $ cvs -d ":pserver:David Summers at razorback:/i//Development/CVSRoot" co
> BattleStorm/source/fslib_dis
> cvs checkout: authorization failed: server razorback rejected access to
> /i//Development/CVSRoot for user David Summers
>
> This (using user "dsummers", see below) was working fine with CVSNT
> 2.0.9 on the Win2K server.  Am I forced to use the CVSNT client on Linux
> now?

You shouldn't be.  I've never tried that, but FWIK it would work since
the old CVS client is still supported by CVSNT server.

You certainly can use the CVSNT client from within Linux though--it's
not a problem.

Note that (I think) the old CVS client doesn't handle spaces in the
username so well.  That could be the problem.

> I would say that is the problem but all the WinCVS 1.3 clients are
> working OK with that change.

WinCVS uses CVSNT client internally.

Regards,

--