[cvsnt] SSPI Authentication failure after password expiry

matthew b mb7oo at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 30 23:38:30 BST 2004

Hi. We use CVSNT and TortoiseCVS quite successfully. Occasionally we start
seeing the following strange error running any CVS command, either from
Tortoise or the command line:

unrecognized auth response from cvsserver: cvs [server aborted]:
Authentication failed

This appears suddenly on an otherwise working configuration. What is strange
is that the same user can use an identical configuration on any other
machine, or any other user can use that sandbox on the problematic machine.
So this only happens for a particular user on a particular machine. Of
course, it's the user's dev machine.

So far we've found two workarounds: 1. Switch to pserver instead of sspi. 2.
rebuild the entire client machine.

This just happend today, and it may have brought up an underlying symptom:
the user's password expired. The password has since been updated, and the
client rebooted, but the problem persists.

Any suggestions on solving or debugging this issue?

Thanks,
Matthew