[cvsnt] RE: [TortoiseCVS] Update showing CVS directories as unknown to repository

Christian Hack christianh at edmi.com.au
Thu Mar 4 23:06:59 GMT 2004

> Running Tortoise 1.6.5 (cvsnt 2.0.26) on XP Pro SP1 against a remote
> CVSNT 2.0.23 server using sserver protocol.
>
> This doesn't happen on _any_ other machines around the place using the
> same version of Tortoise and the same OS - just mine. I have tried
> removing and reinstalling Tortoise including removing any registry
> entries relating to Tortoise and CVSNT on the client to no avail.
>
> For the example I have a module called
> 1920-Mk6E+1680-Mk6 with sub directories of Z00-Firmware and
> Z01-Bootloader. The Z00-Firmware directory has further subdirectories.
>
> Doing a checkout and everything's fine.
>
> If I do a CVS update it gives me question marks on the hidden "CVS"
> directories as if they aren't in the repository. i.e. the output is
> something like:
>
> ======
> In C:\Projects\CVS Checkout\1920-Mk6E+1680-Mk6: C:\Program
> Files\TortoiseCVS\cvs.exe -q update -d -P
> CVSROOT=:sserver:christianh at lunar:2401/EDMI
>
> ? CVS
> ? Z00-Firmware/CVS
> ? Z00-Firmware/CKSUMSPL/CVS
> ? Z00-Firmware/IEC870/CVS
> ? Z00-Firmware/LIBS6/CVS
> ? Z00-Firmware/LIBS6E/CVS
> ? Z00-Firmware/MapDecoder/CVS
> ? Z00-Firmware/S19TOBIN/CVS
> ? Z01-Bootloader/CVS
>
> Success, CVS operation completed
> ======
>
> It correctly updates things fine if they have changed. It
> just displays
> the CVS directories as if they we part of the project.
>
> Any ideas what could cause this? It might be nothing to worry but it's
> quite frustrating to see it all the time when doing commits, updates
> etc.

I'm going to reply to my own question here.

In the "Ignored Files" tab of Tortoise preferences, I had an exclamation
mark which I believe should clear when you click OK. However it remains.
When I remove the exclamation mark, everything works as I expect.

I don't understand what's happening exactly, but I'm happy with the
result.

CH