[cvsnt] performance problem with cvsnt client

Ludwig Öfele Ludwig.Oefele at Humantec.de
Thu Mar 4 13:38:21 GMT 2004

Hello!

I upgraded from WinCvs 1.0.6 (which has its own (?) implementation of
cvs-commands) to WinCvs 1.3.13.2 Beta13(Build2) (which comes with cvsnt
Version 2.0.8)

With this WinCvs I access from my PC (WinXP) a cvs-Server on a Linux box.
Testing the new client I found a serious slow-down of the diff (diff is
the only command I tested so far)

I checked the command line version of cvsnt (in a dos-box) with the line

C:\cvs>"c:\programme\gnu\wincvs 1.3\cvsnt\cvs"
      -d :pserver:ludwig at 192.168.0.191:/home/developer/repository
      diff myprog

6(!) minutes of silence before the result comes up on the screen.

I checked the same with newest version (2.0.34) and it lasts just about
the same amount of time.

Doing the same diff with the old wincvs lasts only 10 secs!

I checked many internet-sources and found, that dns-resolving and
authentication is an issue. But I use cvsnt only as a client and I use
IP-Adress (BTW: the same with name resolved by hosts-file) and I use
pserver.
My opinion is, that there should be no problem with authentication or
resolving (IMHO).

Anybody out there, who can help me?
Thanks!

-Ludwig