[cvsnt] Win2k/XP Backup

Glen Starrett grstarrett at cox.net
Sun Mar 7 05:29:54 GMT 2004

l. yeung wrote:

> Hi! is it safe to zip the entire cvsnt repository directory and copy
> it some remote computer for backing up my sources? And possibly sync
> it on a linux/unix system?

For backup purposes, you should consider shutting down the CVSNT service
while taking a snapshot of the repository to ensure you didn't catch
someone mid-commit (although I don't know how CVSNT would react if
someone was mid-commit when you shut down the service...).  See the
cvsnt wiki for some backup snapshot scripts:
http://www.cvsnt.org/wiki/BackupRepository

As for synch with another system, it's OK to copy it for read-only, but
if you're thinking multiple master type replication then I'd advise
against it--there are a lot of possible major problems with that approach.

--
Glen Starrett