[cvsnt] Re: Client connection failing to cvsnt on a HP-UX UNIX box using pserver

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Mon Mar 8 20:18:37 GMT 2004

Haitham Hamad wrote:

> the user is oracle and CVSROOT is set to /webtest. I have a .cvs
> directory under /home/oracle. I created a file cvspass and copied
> oracle:<its password> to it, and I got

cvspass is created automatically by cvsnt - just use cvs login (when it
works).

>   -> Tracelevel set to 1.  PID is 19060
>   -> Session ID is 4a74404cc24f1bfc
>   -> main loop with CVSROOT=:pserver:oracle at localhost:/webtest
>   -> Config file name /home/oracle/.cvs/cvspass
> cvs version: Empty password used - try 'cvs login' with a real
> password
>
> cvs [version aborted]: bad auth protocol start: BEGIN AUTH REQUEST

That output looks contradictory... the pserver protocol is loading but
the server on the same machine can't load it..

Is the server binary the same one that the client is using (check
inetd.conf)?

Try a local test:

Type:
$ cvs -t pserver

Followed by:
BEGIN AUTH REQUEST
/webtest
oracle
END AUTH REQUEST

On my box it looks something like:

tmh at sisko:~/cvsnt/protocols$ cvs -t pserver
   -> Tracelevel set to 1.  PID is 2626
   -> Session ID is a42404cd495aa2f
BEGIN AUTH REQUEST
S -> Loading protocol /usr/local/lib/cvsnt/server_protocol
S -> Loading protocol /usr/local/lib/cvsnt/ext_protocol
S -> Loading protocol /usr/local/lib/cvsnt/gserver_protocol
S -> Loading protocol /usr/local/lib/cvsnt/sspi_protocol
S -> Loading protocol /usr/local/lib/cvsnt/sserver_protocol
S -> Loading protocol /usr/local/lib/cvsnt/pserver_protocol
/webtest
oracle
END AUTH REQUEST
error 0 /webtest: no such repository
I HATE YOU
error

(obviously as I have no /webtest it throws me off)

The important bit is that it shows it's correctly searching through the
protocols and stopping at pserver.