[cvsnt] Re: CVSNT/WinCVS/SSPI/SSH problems

Glen Starrett grstarrett at cox.net
Tue Mar 9 20:10:20 GMT 2004

Thomas Muller wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just configured CVS-NT and WinCVS, but have some problems with SSPI
> authentication (pserver works fine). For SSPI the server response with
>
> CVSROOT: ttm at gollum:C:/BaseCamp/VersionControl (sspi authentication)
> cvs -q checkout OnRelay (in directory C:\BaseCamp\Temp)
> cvs [checkout aborted]: Authentication protocol rejected access
>
> ***** CVS exited normally with code 1 *****
>
> The server runs CVS-NT 2.0.34 on Win2k Pro SP4. The CVS passwd file
> contains one line:
>
> ttm:

Try removing the passwd file.  You don't need it with SSPI (or pserver
for that matter) for accounts in the system.

> My local box and the server box has the user "ttm" defined with
> administration privileges and the same password. None of the boxes are
> part of a domain. The WinCVS version on the client is 1.3.16.1 beta 16
> on Win2k Pro SP4
>
> I have another question related to SSH as well. I tried to use pserver
> via an SSH server on a third box (on the open Net), i.e. the client
> connects to localhost (port 2401 and 2402), the ssh client forwards to
> two designated ports on the remote ssh server, the remote ssh server
> forwards the ports  to the host running cvsnt. This didn't work,
> however, the connection attempts were immediately rejected, even through
> telnet. Any ideas why?

Sounds like the remote host doesn't have the CVS port open.  It also
sounds like you're tunneling through SSH (I don't know much about that,
just that it's possible).  Typically you'll have CVS do the SSH work
with the :ssh: or :ext: protocols to the server (port 2401 again).

Port 2402 is only used by CVS server-side.  You can telnet into it, but
the CVSNT client never uses port 2402 directly.

--
Glen Starrett