[cvsnt] Re: cvsnt does not run on Windows XP Pro

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Wed Mar 10 00:09:04 GMT 2004

Markus Kuehni wrote:

> I'm using a personal firewall (Tiny PF v5.5). But even when I uninstalled
> it, cvsnt wouldn't connect. Other tcpip services run just fine.

What about AV?

> E:\workspace>cvs -d :sspi:localhost:/v2_prj version
> cvs [version aborted]: Can't authenticate - server and client cannot agree
> on an authentication scheme (got '')
>
> E:\workspace>cvs -d :pserver:localhost:/v2_prj login
> Logging in to :pserver:Markus at localhost:2401:/v2_prj
> CVS password: ******
> cvs [login aborted]: Error reading from server localhost: -1: Unknown error

Something was listening on port 2401, but it immediately dropped the connection.  This
is usually the result of interference by firewalls/AV but it's possible also that there's
another app that's grabbed the port and doesn't like the traffic.

Stopping the service and running cvsservice -test can tell you whether the server is starting
and getting connections.

> E:\workspace>cvs -d :ssh:localhost:/v2_prj login
> Logging in to :ssh:Markus at localhost:22:/v2_prj
> CVS password: ******
> FATAL ERROR: Network error: Connection refused
> cvs login: Couldn't connect to remote server - plink error
> cvs [login aborted]: Connection to server failed

This can't be expected to work unless you're also running an SSH server.