[cvsnt] Re: cvsnt problem with NetBSD pkgsrc

Carl Brewer carl at bl.echidna.id.au
Mon Mar 15 14:57:40 GMT 2004

Tony Hoyle wrote:

>> In this case, what is the correct, or most expected,
>> thing for cvsnt to do?  Should it (cvsnt) mimic the
>> original cvs functionality?  Is the original cvs
>> binary guessing what to do in this instance?
>>
> Possibly... first I've ever heard of it, but it's not beyond
> possibility.  cvsnt can't just 'guess', because all its authentication is
> external - it could be anything.  If we guess pserver in this case, then
> the client might not support it, and if that does, the server might not
> support
> it.  Any idea what cvs is using for its search order when it guesses?

My understanding is (without having RTFSC!) is that its default is
to use rsh, and if CVS_RSH is set, it uses the contents of
that (which is usually ssh :) ) It's late and I'm beating my head
against cyrus imapd, forgive my laxness!

As for the other cases, I've got no idea.  I just think that the
default is rsh or CVS_RSH's contents.

> My guess would be
> something like pserver,server,gserver but if I'm to try to make some
> kind of search algorythm
> making it do things in the same order is probably a good idea.
>
> The easiest thing to so is grab one of the changeroot macros and use
> that, or possibly
> just a sed script...

Agreed, for a one-off, but I'd like to do a BSD port for cvsnt and
I'd like it to "just work" with the NetBSD tarballs :)

cheers

Carl