[cvsnt] :ext: protocol with PuTTY plink.exe not considered encrypted

Markus Kuehni markus.kuehni at trilab.ch
Tue Mar 23 09:44:35 GMT 2004

Hi

Using different CVS clients one notes the absence of :ssh: support. I
presume it's a proprietary extension of cvsnt, right?

TortoiseCVS uses the cvsnt client but it comes without ssh_protocol.dll (and
copying it there doesn't help).

Now I found out one can also use :ext: plus $CVS_RSH set to plink.exe. And
it works, as long as I don't set the CVSNT server to "Require Encryption".
If I do I get

E:\workspace>cvs --version

Concurrent Versions System (CVSNT) 2.0.34 (client/server)

E:\workspace>echo %CVS_RSH%
C:\Program Files\PuTTY\plink.exe

E:\workspace>cvs -d:ext:cvs.trilab.ch:/trilab version
cvs [version aborted]: This protocol does not support encryption

Strangely on the same machine I can use cygwin cvs.exe plus cygwin ssh.exe
with the :ext: protocol and it works even if "Require Encryption" is set on
the server.

Why does cygwin cvs work?
What security do I lose if I leave the cvsnt server on "Request Encryption"?
Any ideas how do configure cvsnt to work with :ext: AND "Require
Encryption"?

Thanks,
Mark