[cvsnt] Newbie -- CVS vs. Filesystem

Czarnowski, Aric aczarnowski at unimax.com
Tue Mar 23 22:15:13 GMT 2004

> Example: When I edit (locally) the root file for a
> website and commit the changes, I see the edits on
> my local webserver, but when I look at the remote
> webserver, the change is not on the page. What am
> I missing?

Couple options here:

1) You can checkout the same module/branch on the webserver and then run
a cron job that does a CVS update regularly in that tree.  CVS
directories would be in webspace and conflicts would be a problem here I
suppose though they should be *extremely* rare.

or

2) You can setup a scheduled script that does a cvs export to a clean
directory structure and then copies over the webspace.  No CVS
directories in the webspace and conflicts wouldn't be a problem.  New
files only on the server would also be preserved though that's probably
against policy if you want auto-updates of production servers.

or

3) Craft something that works for your specific needs.

Basically it comes down to CVS being a passive keeper of updates and not
a pusher of those updates.

--Aric

Aric Czarnowski
Unimax Systems Corporation