[cvsnt] Re: Interesting 'bug' in cvs

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Sat May 8 12:53:00 BST 2004

Aaron Kynaston wrote:
> I believe this is already well known in cvs, but I think it's a bug  . .
> .I'd like to hear what others think:
>
> When I have a  file named Resource.h in the attic, and then later, when
> I try to add a resource.h file (I believe case is important here as the
> server's a linux box), it gives an assertaion failure in commit.c
>
> Any thoughts, and ideas of if this is going to be fixed and/or if it's
> considered a bug?

Is the server CVS or CVSNT?  You shouldn't get any kind of assertion, since on
Windows they're the same file - it'd just resurrect the old file and add a new
revision.  On Linux they're different files and you'll get odd side effects
mixing case between Windows clients and Linux servers...  Linux will create a
new file, which will confuse any Windows clients which have the old file
checked out (depending on the client version they'll get one or the other,
although recent CVSNT client builds do have a selection mechanism).  It's
generally a bad idea to try to mix case like that.

Te audire no possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure.

Tony Hoyle <tmh at nodomain.org>  Key ID: 104D/4F4B6917 2003-09-13
Fingerprint: 063C AFB4 3026 F724 0AA2  02B8 E547 470E 4F4B 6917