[cvsnt] Re: branch tag and chacl

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Sun May 23 20:53:48 BST 2004

Wolfram Kuss wrote:

> What are the secure alternatives? Windows NT access rights do not help
> with branches since they are not in separate directories, right? So
> would the only solution be a completely new repository? So we would
> need to do the synchronising between them completely manual?

Normally locking down a branch wouldn't be a security issue - you'll never get
that secure in any real sense anyway - it's easy to do things like 'cvs log'
once you have the file, and of course ViewCVS etc. don't honour the ACLs at all

If you really don't trust your users to that extent then a separate repository
with manual merging probably is the only way.  TBH though I find it difficult
to imagine a situation where people would have checkin rights to one branch
but wouldn't be trusted even to see another one..?

Te audire no possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure.

Tony Hoyle <tmh at nodomain.org>  Key ID: 104D/4F4B6917 2003-09-13
Fingerprint: 063C AFB4 3026 F724 0AA2  02B8 E547 470E 4F4B 6917