[cvsnt] DIFF to HEAD from branch

Glen Starrett grstarrett at cox.net
Sat May 29 05:03:11 BST 2004

I'm trying to get a reasonable DIFF of my changes on a branch relative
the current HEAD, but I can't seem to get it right.  What am I doing
wrong?  Is there any way to get a diff without all the expansion
keywords showing up?

I can do this and it works:
    cvs -q up -CA
    cvs diff -r MyBranch

...and it lists out the diff showing the changes but showing them in the
reverse direction from what I want (e.g. my mods being removed, not
added).  When I try this:

    cvs -q up -r MyBranch
    cvs diff -r HEAD

... I get *nothing*.  OK, I get the output saying it's diffing, but it
doesn't produce any differences.  ??

I have found that this works the way I want (when sandbox is at HEAD
already):

    cvs -q up -j MyBranch
    cvs diff

...but that requires messing up my sandbox with all the temp merged
files.  Is this expected?  I would think that cvs diff -r MyTag would
work no matter where your sandbox is--maybe it just doesn't understand
HEAD as the selected tag?

Regards,

--
Glen Starrett