[cvsnt] Re: Installing CVSNT and CVS side by side

Glen Starrett grstarrett at cox.net
Mon Nov 1 18:09:39 GMT 2004

Wayne Bond wrote:
> I am wondernig whether the installation of cvsnt on a linux (debian 2.4.26
> woody) server will conflict/replace files used by the current installation
> of cvs (1.11.1p1). The reason is I want to upgrade our server to cvsnt from
> cvs such that the clients (cvsnt and wincvs on Win PCs) can access the
> features on cvsnt not available in cvs (such as graphic display of merge
> points and atomic commits).

They both use the same main file name "cvs" and cvsnt uses updated RCS
tools.  You'll probably want to remove the old CVS before installing
CVSNT.  Back up your repository, remove CVS (leaving the repository),
then install CVSNT and configure it.  You should be working fine at that
point.

I'd recommend you experiment on another box before updating your
production system if there are any questions / concerns.  IMHO it's time
well spent to have some breathing room and not be worried about
experimenting while you're checking out CVSNT.

Regards,

--
Glen Starrett